Sunday, September 12, 2010

A big change is about to happen

The going away ceremony and family picnic came and went very quickly today. The FRG has been planning this event since the end of June and beginning of July. We were in charge of lots of details from donated food, to things for the children to do and where to have it.
Brad and I were privileged to see Don and Ferol one more time before Brad left and it was very nice to see them and have their support.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see the turn out from the families of soldiers at both events. Ferol teared up a few times at the ceremony and when she and I said our good-bye at the park. Brad took his parents to the airport so they could rent a car to drive home and she broke down a few times there as well. I don't blame her though.
I'm not sure what Tuesday morning hold for me. I think it's going to be harder than I think to say good-bye to this man that I love so darn much. It'll be hard to give him away and know but know that he will come back to me in one piece. He is going over with some truly amazing people that I know will keep him out of harms way.
It was said many times today that the families that get left behind have the hardest job because they have to maintain life on the home front. Where as the soldiers just have to report at the right time and wear the right uniform. Yes, they are away from home and don't have any power over what happens here, but I think being left behind is hard as well.
Brad has been amazing with making sure that I have all of the tools to get things done here, bank information, car insurance information and what not. It's not that I am incapable of doing it, but I think it gives him a piece of mind knowing that he is providing the information for me. One less thing for ME to worry about.
One of the soldiers pulled some strings with the Billings airport and families are now invited to see the 592nd off on their plane to New Jersey. I have to drop Brad off at the unit at 6 am Tuesday and see him again around 9 am at the airport.
This will be the last time for the next 6 or 7 months that I will get to hug him, kiss him, hold his hand and whisper in his ear. Kinda sad. Needless to say, I WILL NOT be going to school that day.
I have moments of jealousy of other wives that I know that get to see their husbands every night. Get to sleep next to them every night and live day to day lives with them. Then I start to think clearly and remember that WE signed up for the Army and knew what we were getting into. There was always the reality of being deployed, but now that it's a mere 1 day away, its too close. Where did our 6 week go? It seems like it was yesterday that I was picking him up from the unit coming home from new jersey.

On a more positive note I will be very busy with school and the FRG. There are a few perks ( if you will ) of Brad being deployed. I get a free gym membership at the YMCA, so I plan on taking advantage of that. I've fallen back on my eating well routine and it caught up with me! :(
I am having a Lia Sophia jewelry party on October 14th, my beautiful cousin Rachel gets married November 6th in Colorado, and I get to go home from Christmas to see my great family and friends. I also MIGHT get the chance of going to Seattle again in January courtesy of the Army for some training. That'd be pretty sweet.
A few months of slowing down and nothing planned then Brad and I plan to meet in Ireland for his 6 month leave, which is around our 1 year anniversary. The Irelands will be going to Ireland. :) Pretty freakin excited for that.

For now, I just have to take each day slow and know that this deployment will go fast.
Its been about a year now that Brad has lived over here.
A year since we drove him over here.
The day before Halloween will be 1 year since he proposed.
Where has this year gone?
It's gone by real quick . . . so lets hope this next year goes by at hyper speed.
I'm sure I'll be blogging more after he leaves. I'll be keeping my head up.
Thank you everyone for your on-going support of the both of us. It means the world to have wonderful people in our lives! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment