Monday, October 25, 2010

surprise family trip

It's been a while since I've written. A lot has happened since New York. I had a hectic time getting from Newark to home in Billings, but had a nice quick stop at my parents house in Seattle. I got home late Wednesday night, went to school on Thursday and Friday morning and then I went back to Seattle for my secret visit home. My mom and I had kind of planned this when I had a major break down a week or two before. Things weren't going well at school, Brad was leaving and life just wasn't good at the moment. So we found a way to get me home for me to see my family. I thought that while I was there, I'd see my 'other mother' Judy Brough and my dear friend Nicole and her son malachi. No one knew I was coming besides my parents. My mom had arranged with Judy to go out for dinner that night and when I showed up with my mom Judy just sat there and was sooo very surprised. It was a pretty cool feeling to be missed like that. We had a nice dinner down in south center where we then went shopping for my cousin Rachel's wedding.
Saturday, I sat around and like the good student I am trying so hard to be, I did most of my online math homework while I waited for my brother to show up. On Tuesday, the 19th, my grandma whom I fondly refer to as Nonnie turned 90! My aunt and uncle were flying out to celebrate this milestone with my parents and brother. When Alan showed up he had no idea I was there till he put his things in what used to be my room and is now the guest room. He came upstairs and couldn't figure out whas was going on. I then walked out of the computer room and he got this big smile on his face and gave me a big teddy bear hug. :-) that was pretty cool as well. We sat around and visited a little till my mom got home where she then decided to treat me to a pedicure at a spa in Des Moines.



What a treat. :) we got home and changed real quick to then make the drive to auburn where Nonnie lives. I walked in after my parents and brother had walked in and no one was expecting me! Nonnie thought it was so wonderful to see me and have me here for the weekend!


We had a pretty good family dinner and then went back to Nonnie's to hang out for a little bit where we then took some more pictures! We did the family picture . . . the Smith family, the Aker family and then the representative for the Ireland family! lol





By this time I was pretty pooped. We traveled home and everyone else went to bed. I got online and was checking my face book and saw that Brad was online so we got to video chat for one the last times in the next few months! I am so thankful for skype and video chat technology. I think I'd go crazy if we didn't have phones, email or vieochat capabilities. It's pretty awesome.
Anyway, Sunday was pretty busy as well. I had some breakfast and my mom then took me to Costco where I bought a Costco membership and we walked around for a little picking up some items. After that, Alan and I met my dad down at the boat and we went on a quick ride around the sound. It was nice to be on the water again. I can't believe how much I miss being around water. Living in a land lock state has it's perks, but I do love my water!


After I had a wonderful boat ride with my brother and dad, I went to visit my good friend Nicole, her husband Peter and their son Malachi! I had a great, but quick visit with them before I had to run back home to pack my bags and then fly back to billings.


All in all it was a pretty nice weekend. A quick vacation from all of my other traveling.

Next weekend debbie and I will be driving down to Colorado for my cousin Rachel's wedding. Debbie is going to go Christmas shopping while I am visiting with family! Pretty awesome.

Update on Brad! He made it safe to Afghanistan and has been there for a few days. We have got the wonderful opportunity to talk on the phone twice so far. The first time being very quick, literally, a one minute phone call. I cried for 45 seconds of it! Tears of joy of course! The 2nd phone call was about 10 minutes and much better. I started to tear up but I stopped myself. I didn't want to waste our precious time crying. lol. I told him about our pet mouse that we have in the house. I've dubbed him Mickey and he lives under the sink. He isn't potty trained and he will be evicted sooner than he wants! lol.

The FRG ( Family Readiness Group ) Halloween event went pretty good too. A pumpkin patch just outside of laurel donated close to 100 pumpkins for our event. We had so many that we were telling the families who came to take a few extra home with them! There are still about 40 pumpkins at the unit waiting to be picked up!



That's pretty much it for now. Life has slowed down just enough where I can plan some Megan time or time with friends. I love traveling, but I also enjoy sleeping in my own bed and having my own schedule.
More updates on Brad as they become available!

1 comment:

  1. good lord why did you put that picture of me on your blog

    i was jokingly making a horrible face to get mom NOT to take it.... ugh

    ReplyDelete